is an institution of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in America. It is a living memorial to the 500 Greek settlers who arrived on the American continent in 1768 and to all Greek Orthodox pioneers whose love of freedom and desire for a better life for themselves and their children brought them to the New World. The Shrine is open M-S 9-5:00; Sunday 12-6:00 pm.
The Shrine is located at 41 St George Street within the colonial quarter of St Augustine.
Listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places,
the Shrine is a reconstructed colonial Spanish structure defined by its flat roof with scuppers, rejas latticed windows and entrances located within the interior courtyard .
Upon entering the Constantine Sisters Courtyard,
One is immediately impressed with the serenity of St Photios Greek Orthodox Shrine from the hustle and bustle of St. George Street in the Colonial Quarter of St Augustine.
is built in memory of the Orthodox Christians who came to America seeking a new life. In 1777, the survivors of the New Smyrna Colony were given the Avero House as a place of refuge. Once they settled, it was their meeting place and house of worship.
Archbishop Iakovos donated
the altar table to the Shrine in memory of his parents, Athanasios and Maria Coucouzis. Pictured here are the icons of the Platytera (Virgin and Christ behind the altar) and the altar dome icon called the Glory of God.
Bishop John of Amorion
of blessed memory, President emeritus of St. Photios Foundation venerates the relics of 18th early Christian saints in the Narthex of St Photios Chapel.
1,402 men and women
from Italy, Greece, Corsica and Menorca, set sail on April 17, 1768 from Mahon, Menorca. They arrived in St Augustine on June 26, 1768.
The frescoes and icons
were written by the hands of George and John Filippakis; the mosaics and marble work were done by Sirio Tonelli.
The History uncovered
through diligent research was a result of mild curiosity of Dr. Epamondas P. Panagopoulos who happened through St. Augustine with his wife while on vacation. A professor of history then at San Jose College in California, Dr Panagopoulos wrote his doctoral dissertation on the subject.
Metropolitan Alexios of Atlanta, President of the St. Photios Foundation, greets the faithful during services celebrating the Feast of St. Photios. Pilgrimage weekend will be observed February 6-8, 2015
A well stocked book store of many religious items and gift as well.
St. Photios Greek Orthodox National Shrine
is governed by the St. Photios Foundation. First VP Archon Dr. Manuel T. Tissura and wife Elaine with Shrine Architect, Archon Ted Pappas and wife MaryLee at Greek Landing Day celebrations.
Greek Landing Day
will be celebrated Friday, June 26, 2015. The Foundation gives thanks to the three area parishes: St Demetrios in Daytona Beach, Holy Trinity in St. Augustine and St. John the Divine in Jacksonville, who take turns in hosting this auspicious event.
We get visitors!
Bishop Dimitrios of Xanthos greet Father Polycarp and the OCF students visiting from South Carolina.
We host groups!
Metropolis of Atlanta Archon retreat at the St. Photios Shrine.
Teachers, students and chaperones
from the Greek School of St. Catherine in West Palm Beach, FL.
St. Photios Shrine Blessing of the Animals
will be held December 6, 2014 from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m.